Rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids for cardiovascular health. – Kathleen, Better Health Naturopath.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 salmon fillets, about 170 g ea
- 1½ cups brown rice, rinsed
- 2 medium sized beetroot, scrubbed, trimmed & grated (use a food processor to do this, or wear rubber gloves & an apron at least!)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp walnut oil (substitute extra virgin olive oil)
- ½ cup each parsley, mint & rocket leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted & roughly chopped
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 150°C. Combine rice with 2¼ cups of cold water in a small lidded saucepan. Bring to the boil rapidly then reduce heat to the lowest setting and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit, covered.
- Place salmon on a lined slide tray, season with salt and pepper and bake for about 16 minutes, or until the thickest part feels flaky rather than springy to touch (thinner tail pieces, like those pictured, will take less time- check after 12 minutes).
- Meanwhile carefully combine grated beetroot with vinegar, oil, herbs, walnuts, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve salmon fillets with or without skin, accompanied by the rice and salad.