Proof that chocolate and buckwheat are a match made in heaven!
These are everything a biscuit should be: buttery and sweet and perfect with a cup of tea! Made with organic ingredients, a mix of wholewheat and buckwheat flours, real butter and raw sugar they’re also a lot more wholesome than anything you’ll get in a packet. Enjoy in moderation!
For fresh biscuits all the time the cut outs can be frozen at step five and baked without pre-thawing (in fact they’ll hold their shape best this way) so you can have biscuits ready in literally minutes. Otherwise store for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Ingredients (makes about 20 biscuits)
125 g softened butter (preferably unsalted, but lightly salted is fine)
55 g /¼ cup raw sugar
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 tbsp full cream milk
55 g / ½ cup wholewheat flour
55 g / ½ cup buckwheat flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
50 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven 180°C and line 2 slide trays with baking paper.
2. Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until fluffy and light coloured. Add salt, vanilla and milk.
3. Sift over flours and cocoa and add chocolate; roughly combine.
4. Turn mixture onto a clean countertop and quickly knead to bring the dough together. Roll out to about 4 mm thick, wrap in cling film and pop into the freezer on a tray or plate for 20 minutes.
5. Working quickly, remove cling film and use a 5 cm cutter to cut out biscuits. Place on prepared trays at least 3 cm apart.
6. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, rotating trays midway, until lightly browned. Cool on trays.