#2 in our tasting series with Larina Robinson, Wholefood Dietitian, APD
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, Paleo
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner we couldn’t resist sharing Larina’s amazing little chocolate cupcakes with you! They’re decadent and nourishing and sure to woo your special someone.
Ingredients (makes 36 mini cupcakes)
36 If You Care mini baking cups
¼ cup Loving Earth raw cacao
¼ cup Aclara coconut flour
¼ cup Wholefoods House unblanched organic almond meal
1½ tsp gluten free baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
4 organic eggs (we love Clarendon for baking!), separated
3 tbsp Wholefoods House organic maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil or unsalted organic butter
2 Tbsp coconut milk
3 x EIGHTY Pana Chocolate blocks, each chopped into 12 pieces
3 x RAW CACAO Pana Chocolate blocks
3 Tbsp coconut milk
Optional – edible rose petals to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a mini muffin tray with 36 baking cups.
- Combine cacao, coconut flour, almond meal, baking powder and sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil/butter and coconut milk in a small bowl then combine with the dry ingredients.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. Fold into the cupcake mixture. Spoon batter into the mini muffin cases, approximately ¾ full. Place a square of Pana Chocolate in the centre of each, ensuring it’s submerged.
- Bake for approximately 15 – 18 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the ganache, bring an inch or two of water to a simmer in a small pot. Set a heatproof bowl on top of the pot, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl (if it does the chocolate will burn and split!). Add the Pana Chocolate and coconut milk, stirring occasionally as it softens. When you have just a few small unmelted chunks remove bowl from heat – residual heat will melt the rest.
- Spoon the ganache onto each cupcake and set aside. Decorate with edible rose petals, if using, to serve.
Many thanks to our friends at Pana Chocolate for providing the recipe-testing goods!
Recipe created by Larina Robinson
Wholefood Dietitian, Nutritionist, APD