Ingredients (makes a 20 cm round cake)
- 2/3 cup / 100 g coconut oil, plus extra to grease
- 125 ml agave nectar
- 100 g 70 % dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups / 250 g raw grated beetroot
- 7 x 60 g pastured eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups / 180 g coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup / 55 g cocoa
- Preheat oven 170°C. Grease a 20 cm diameter springform cake tin with coconut oil and line with baking paper.
- Gently warm coconut oil, agave syrup and chocolate in a small saucepan over a low heat on the stove. When melted remove from heat, transfer to a pyrex or ceramic mixing bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the beetroot, eggs and coconut milk.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut flour with sifted baking powder and cocoa. Add to the wet mix and fold together to combine.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 60 to 80 minutes, or until the top is cracked and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out covered with crumbs. Sit in the tin for 20 minutes before removing from the tin, peeling off the paper and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.