Ingredients (makes approximately 5 servings)
- 1 cup hulled buckwheat
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp pepitas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place buckwheat in a large bowl and cover with 1 L cold water. Leave to soak for about 8 hours then rinse thoroughly and allow to drain (in a sieve set over an empty bowl) for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven 150°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a wide mixing bowl, combine soaked buckwheat with coconut, almonds, almond meal, seeds and cinnamon. Warm coconut oil and maple syrup over a gentle heat until oil is melted then add vanilla and salt. Pour over the dry mixture and toss to combine. Arrange the mixture on the prepared baking tray in an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, tossing once after about 30 minutes, until the granola is golden and fragrant. Keep an eye on it towards the end- ‘golden’ can turn to dark brown very quickly!
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container for about one week. Serve with your favourite yoghurt or milk and seasonal fruit for a delicious breakfast, year round.