Gluten free, Dairy free
Ingredients (serves 4)
6 lamb koftas or sausages (we use Belmore meats)
1 Tbsp ghee (or reserved fat such as tallow)
2 carrots, diced
1 bunch silverbeet, carefully rinsed, stalks and leaves finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sprigs thyme, leaves chopped
1 sprig rosemary, leaves chopped
1½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black sesame seeds
½ lemon, zest and juice
2 cans drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
sumac, to garnish
- Using damp hands, divide each kofta or sausage into 5 to 6 pieces and roll into balls.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the ghee or fat and swirl to coat. Brown the koftas all over, taking care not to tear them, then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Dial the heat down a little and add the carrots and silverbeet stalks to the pan and saute for five minutes, until softened. Stir in the garlic, herbs, cumin, sesame and lemon zest. Cover and continue to cook for 2 minutes, making sure the pan doesn’t dry out.
- Add the silverbeet leaves and return the koftas to the pan with ¼ cup water and cover, cooking for about 10 minutes or until the silverbeet is silky and the koftas cooked through. Stir in the chickpeas to warm through then taste and season.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, cracked black pepper and a pinch or two of sumac sprinkled on top.