A great tasting, nutrient dense salad, rich in B vitamins and vegetarian proteins for energy production.
INGREDIENTS (serves 3 – 4)
- ¾ cup quinoa
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & grated
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup unhulled sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp currants
- 2 cups mixed parsley, mint & coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the dressing
- 2 Tbsp unhulled tahini
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 clove garlic, smashed with the flat of a knife
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- zest & juice (about 1/3 cup) 1 lemon
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- For quinoa, rinse seeds thoroughly under running water. If there are suds rinse until they subside completely or your quinoa will be unpalatably bitter. Combine in a small saucepan with ¾ cup cold water and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and cook until all the water has been absorbed, then remove pan from stove (this should take about 12 minutes all up). Allow quinoa to sit with the lid on for 20 minutes before fluffing it up with a fork and spreading over a wide plate to cool.
- For dressing, combine tahini and boiling water in a small jar and mix to form a paste. Add other ingredients, combine and set aside.
- In a dry saucepan toast pepitas over a medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Add sunflower seeds and stir for 1 minute. Add the sesame seeds and keep stirring for another minute, or until the seeds are toasted and aromatic. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- To assemble salad discard garlic clove from dressing and give the jar a good shake. Combine with quinoa, onion, carrots, seeds and currants in a wide bowl. Gently fold through the herbs. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.