Vegan, Gluten free
Serve these with salad and dipping sauce for a satisfying meal or snack – we love them rolled up in a lettuce leaf with all the bits and pieces (sauces, salad, cultured veg) inside!
Ingredients (makes about 12 balls)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
½ tsp sea salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cm piece ginger, finely grated
1 carrot, coarsely grated
½ tsp turmeric powder
1½ tsp ground coriander
1½ tsp ground cumin
300 g packet tempeh, roughly diced
1½ cups cooked short or medium grain brown rice
1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
¼ cup each toasted pepitas, toasted sunflower seeds & toasted sesame seeds
¼ cup polenta, to dust
To serve: tamari, tomato chutney, lettuce leaves, salad ingredients (such as cucumber and radish), cultured vegetables
- Preheat oven 180°C. Prepare two trays with baking paper.
- Heat a deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add coconut oil, onion and salt and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring, until the onion is nicely browned. Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the carrot, spices, tempeh and rice and continue to cook gently, vigorously stirring until the mixture is well combined: the tempeh should be like a paste binding the rice.
- Remove saucepan from the heat. Taste, season and stir through the mint leaves and all the seeds. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool.
- Fill a wide bowl or plate with polenta. Using slightly dampened hands, roll golf ball sized balls of the mixture and dust with polenta. Arrange on the prepared trays, about 5 cm apart and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve with sauces, salad and cultured vegetables.