# 3 in our tasting series with Larina Robinson, Wholefood Dietitian, APD
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, Paleo
3 cups Wholefoods House organic almond meal
2 Tbsp Aclara coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup coconut oil or butter, softened
½ cup Wholefoods House maple syrup
3 organic eggs
2 tsp finely grated organic orange rind
1 tsp Gatty vanilla extract
¼ cup freshly squeezed organic Valencia orange juice
250 g frozen Harvestime blueberries
for the syrup:
2 Tbsp finely grated organic orange zest
1 cup freshly squeezed organic Valencia orange juice
Co Yo coconut yoghurt or double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven 170 degrees Celsius. Line and grease a 22 cm spring-form cake
pan and lightly dust with a little extra almond meal to prevent sticking.
- Combine almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder and baking soda in a
- In a separate bowl beat oil or butter, maple syrup, eggs and orange rind with
an electric mixer. Add the orange juice and vanilla extract.
- Arrange half the blueberries in the base of the prepared pan and toss the
remaining berries through the dry mixture. Fold in the wet ingredients and
pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Stand 5 minutes in
pan before transferring to a plate. Poke a few holes in it using the cake tester.
- To make orange syrup, bring orange zest and juice to the boil over a high heat
in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until it’s reduced to one third of the
- Pour 2 Tablespoons of syrup over the warm cake. Stand for at least 15 minutes
and serve warm or at room temperature with yoghurt or double cream.
Recipe created by Larina Robinson
Wholefood Dietitian, Nutritionist, APD